How to use your services
Security 101 – Phishing Awareness
WiFi 101- Router Placement
Wifi 101 – Bandwidth
Download our top Tech Tips by clicking on the links below.
1. Verify Your Network Speed Just Like a Firefly Tech!
Get accurate speed test results for your home using the same process as Firefly techs.
2. Speed Up Your Wireless Network By Eliminating Older Devices!
Older wireless devices cause a poor Wi-Fi experience for customers using newer devices on the same network. Follow these tips to make sure you aren’t using older devices that are slowing down your network!
3. Use Whole Home Wi-Fi to Expand In-Home Coverage
Having trouble connecting to Wi-Fi in certain areas of your home? Does your device sometimes disconnect from the network, or take forever to download large files, or pause or stop altogether while streaming movies? Follow these tips to learn about Whole Home Wi-Fi!
4. Watching Video with an Internet Connection
Although Firefly Fiber Broadband does not create streaming services or video content, we provided the information below as a starting point to help you learn about the devices, apps, and streaming services available on the market from various sources and providers.
What are the benefits of Fiber to the Home (FTTH)?
- Provides virtually unlimited bandwidth capacity
- Higher stability and less interruptions
- Less susceptible to corrosion or power surges from lightning and other sources, resulting in greater reliability
- Adds value to your home and to the community
- Increase the value of your home or business
- A study in 2015 stated that on average having FTTH will increase the value of a home by 3.1% and up to 7% for gigabit connected homes.
- For a home valued at $170,000, that is an increase ranging from $5,270 to $11,900.
- Increased economic development due to the advanced technology available in the area
- Rural customers can compete on a global scale in their work or business
Will I have to change wiring in my house?
For most customers, your internal home wiring will stay the same for phone service. A fiber line will be installed into your home to a small fiber ONT that will be mounted near the baseboard in most cases. Then a new CAT6 cable will be installed from the ONT to the Wi-Fi router.
Why is Fiber better than Cable?
Cable can’t compare!
Don’t mistake the claims of some companies who say they have an “enhanced fiber optic network”. What they have is a hybrid connection mixing a single fiber line with the aging technology of coaxial cable. What’s the difference? Fiber-to-the-Home is a 100% fiber optic connection made directly to your home or business with the ability to carry large quantities of data at enormous distance—much faster.
Fiber technology delivers clear advantages over standard coaxial cable and copper networks:
- Fiber is unquestionably the fastest, most versatile high-speed internet connection
- Virtually unlimited bandwidth—the sky’s the limit
- Get the speed you pay for all the time!
- No internet slowdowns during peak hours
- Crystal clear voice communication with less interference and reliable 911 service
- Better video experience—see higher quality streaming video on your TV, computer, tablets, and other devices.
Can I use my own router?
Yes, however we will install the latest Wi-Fi routers available that are carrier-grade for FREE. No lease or rental fee. These are high end Wi-Fi routers with the latest standard, Wi-Fi 6 that outperform most routers available on the consumer market. You will have to pay $300-400 to get a router that can compare to the one that we offer you for FREE.
Where is the best location in my home/business for my Wi-Fi router?
Typically, this is the center of the home or close to the center of the area that you are using Wi-Fi connections. This can vary a little bit based on dense walls or materials, like metal objects and concrete/brick walls. If you elect to use our FREE managed Wi-Fi router, please discuss with our installer where you want to use Wi-Fi in your home/business so that they can place it in an optimal location.